Wednesday, September 20

Treo me.

After spending $400 on a phone, I wondered what the heck I was thinking.

I could have made an extra student loan payment! Bought a new Coach bag! Bought four $100 phones! Went to the bank and asked for $400 in singles to throw around like I had won the lottery for fluff and nonsense!

But, no. I bought a Treo 650 because someone talked me into it.

Okay, so it wasn't so much as talked me into it, but this thing had, and has, a certain allure. (Not to be confused with whatever impostor allure using a Bluetooth headset emits. It's called "You look like you're having an inner monologue outburst incident." Use your hands!)

Clearly, I must be "kind of a big deal" if I have a Treo. I'm "important enough" to check my e-mail incessantly. Send neat, organized text messages saved in conversation form, a la Instant Messenger. Never be without an MP3 player or a world clock. Customize my ringtones to my express liking so that Hugh Laurie notifies me when I have a voicemail.

But, to have what some might label a "Zack Morris" sized cell phone in a world of RAZRs and PEBLs and Qs, you may need to defend your purchase.

Let's face it. The BlackBerry is played out. Everybody and their mom has one. In fact, I saw your mom yesterday, and she wants to know why you don't call her anymore...ON HER BLACKBERRY.

General rule of thumb: Jay-Z includes your product in a lyric more than once, it's not so VIP anymore, cause he just told you about it...twice.

With all that lawsuit, "Can we, can't we still use our Blackberry" drama, who wants to drop that much loot on a PDA? Go with the Treo. And, it still has a QWERTY keyboard!

If you update your firmwares when you're told and have a geeky friend on speed dial in case of "red phone"-esque emergencies (few and far between), you'll be the coolest person on the block.

During an impromptu game of "Name that obscure actor," you can reference IMBD.com. What can they do? Text their friend to look it up for them, and then call them back so you can be subjected to their lame MIDI ringtones. (You know, the ones that sound like bastardized elevator muzak.)

As PDAs and the customization of these geeky products becomes more and more popular, so do the creative possibilities.

Sites like and NYC Peach and Crystal Icing specialize in bringing bling to your phones, iPods, laptops...anything that can stand still long enough to have crystals adhered to it, really.

They have a laundry list of celebrity clients and a library of samples to show you. NYC Peach, in fact, has the blessing of the TMobile Sidekick folks themselves. Ooh.

Psst!: Get your Treo with a new plan or when your contract is up, and you'll pay A LOT less than an impatient girl like me. (Don't thank me. I'll just sit here and be jealous.)

0 comments: