Thursday, September 21

Squeeworthy 'toons.

I must admit I'm not a huge fan of cartoons, so when one manages to get my attention, you know it's some funny stuff.

One of the best I've seen in long time is The
FairlyOdd Parents
on Nickelodeon. Reminds me of the good old days of Doug, Ren and Stimpy, Ahhh! Real Monsters, and Rocco's Mondern Life. (Bring them back!)

The first episode I ever saw ("Boys in the Band") was prompted by a voiceover cameo by Chris Kirkpatrick of 'NSYNC. I used to work for one of the show's producers, so let's just say when he's handing you a VHS tape and telling you to watch it, you do.

In a nutshell, there's a 10-year-old kid named Timmy. His parents are nut jobs. (Whose aren't?) When they're at work, Timmy has an evil babysitter, Vicky. (She's a dose of Angelica from Rugrats, times 12.) ...It's not over yet!


He has two fairy god parents (Cosmo and Wanda) who grant him wishes and land him in all kinds of wacky situations.

Chris Kirkpatrick plays, you guessed it, a popstar named Chip Skylark. Throw in an 'NSYNC member, some musical numbers, two questionably obsessed parents making "I [heart] Chip!" cookies and t-shirts so THEY can go to the concert instead of their son, and a psycho babysitter holding Chip hostage back at the house, you know you've got some funny stuff.


It's a smart, smart show. Thanks to a bit of double entendre (new vocabulary word!), your parents will know why it's really, REALLY funny.

Check it out when you need a break from your SpongeBob marathon.

0 comments: